Full fibre networks are the future and getting ready for a gigabit speed is a key step for most businesses.
The UK government has launched a new nationwide Gigabit Broadband Voucher Scheme (GBVS), which is funded by a pot of £67m and aims to provide vouchers worth up to £3000 for businesses (SME’s) to help with the costs of connecting to “full fibre” (FTTP/H) broadband.
Orbital have been accepted following application as a supplier for the scheme.
If you have been considering a Fibre Leased Line capable of a minimum of 100Mb symmetrical speeds, then now is the time to take advantage utilising the government funded scheme.
Better than business broadband, Fibre Leased Lines are installed on a dedicated Fibre line meaning you don’t share your connection with anyone else, and as a result wont experience the fluctuating speeds you find with other contended services.
A Leased Line is Fibre delivered to your premises directly from your nearest exchange, no cabinets or copper cables. This also means they are the least likely to be interrupted by human intervention, i.e. someone driving into a cabinet!
A dedicated business Fibre line results in less risk of downtime from hacks and security breaches.
This scheme allows for speeds ranging from 100Mb to 1Gb.
Voucher Scheme Steps
- Order a gigabit capable connection from Orbital.
- We request the voucher on your behalf, the scheme will contact you to ensure you are happy to proceed.
- Orbital get to work on delivering your gigabit capable connection.
- Your connection is live! We advice the voucher scheme.
- The voucher scheme contacts you to check the connection is live and possibly a few further checks.
- The voucher is issued and you have a Fibre internet connection from Orbital.
The following eligibility criteria is set by the government scheme.
The Scheme is for small and medium size businesses across all those local areas taking part in the market test.
- Has up to 249 Employees
- A balance sheet of less than €43 million or a turn-over of less than €50 million
- You must not have received more than the permitted amount of de minimis aid in the last 3 years.
Vouchers help support the capital costs of delivering a new gigabit capable connection to your business premises. If you already have a gigabit capable connection you are not eligible for a voucher. Your new connection must have a minimum speed of 100mbps and represent at least a doubling of speed compared to the service you have now.
Vouchers are available now. We will stop issuing vouchers when the £2 million fund we have set up for the test phase has been allocated or by March 2019 – whichever is sooner.
Business vouchers are worth between £500 and £3,000. If your new connection costs less than £500, you will not be able to claim a voucher. If the cost of providing a connection is more than £3,000 then you can “top up”. We cannot pay any VAT or monthly charges. Other conditions apply